Wednesday, April 9, 2014

How to save Money in Mazatlán without really trying

Who would think you could save money in a tropical beach resort?
Like everyone else, except the very rich who think the word “budget” only applies to governments, we live on a static monthly income that has not heard the phrase “cost of living increase” for the past ten years. As a result, we have always budgeted our monthly expenses, putting grocery money in one envelope, rent in another, car expenses, utilities, dog groomer, haircuts, etc. in others. The one envelope that gets filled last is “mad money.”
And since moving to Mazatlán a strange thing is happening to that mad money envelope. It is never empty. Hmm-m-m. Are we eating out less? No. Are we going to fewer movies? No. Buying fewer clothes? Maybe. Is my husband buying less scotch, me less wine? A definite No.
So, why exactly are we saving money in Mazatlán without really trying?
It took me awhile, but I think I’ve finally figured it out. Here’s what I think:
  • So I’ve had a couple of glasses of wine and an ad comes on television for a perfect non-stick Brownie pan, $19.95US and if you call right away, two for the same price, just pay additional handling and delivery. I would have grabbed the phone, but you can´t order from Mexico – saved $19.95
  • Speaking of television True Grit, which I’ve wanted to see, is available on Pay-Per-View. But our server won’t allow us to order it from Maz. Setttle for watching a free re-run of The Big Bang Theory
  • An explosion of Strawberry Twizzlers, which are not available in Mexico, appears on the TV screen. Salivate a bit and settle for another glass of wine.
  • My son-in-law tells me about a live U2 concert in Seattle, just $150 per ticket. I’ve loved them forever. Settle for a free PBS special on Peter, Paul and Mary.
  • Watch an American ad for a new, snazzy red BMW with turbo power knowing it is three times the price in Mexico. Remember we bought a Dodge Neon because nobody wants to steal a Dodge Neon.
  • On come ads for Target or JC Penny introducing swinging new women´s clothing styles just in time for the party season. Check my wardrobe. Shorts, t-shirts, sandals, one spaghetti-strap dress. It´s 34°C for heaven´s sake! Why would I need anything else?
  • Ah, Travelocity vacation ads of sunny beach resorts. We live in a beach resort. Why would we want to leave? Savings: $1,000US
  • Received a letter from a friend who visited the San Diego City Zoo, entrance fee for 2 adults, 2 kids: $140US. Settle for watching our resident gecko scamper from behind the painting on the wall up to the ceiling, all the while eyeballing me.
  • My daughter-in-law arrived for a visit in Maz totally tanned thanks to five expensive sessions at a tanning salon. She didn´t need to spend the bucks. We just walk 15 minutes to the store and 15 minutes back in the Mazatlán sun and voilá: Free tan
  • Bar drinks. In Canada last year we spent $2.50Cdn for a beer. But in Maz, we discovered we can drink 6 beers between us in two hours for 60 pesos (about $5Cdn) hitting the 4pm-5pm, 5pm-6pm and 6pm-7pm bars at their 2×1 happy hours. Life is good.
  • Back in Canada I took my grandson to see a Harry Potter movie and forked out $24Cdn for tickets, another $6 for popcorn and a drink for us both. Saw the Harry Potter movie here: cost – 30 pesos ($2.60Cdn) each and 20 pesos for popcorn for me and my sweetie.
And perhaps this is the real reason our mad money envelope never lets us down. Liquor sales. In Canada prices are controlled by liquor boards. In Mazatlán, it´s free enterprise. Anywhere, at any store, you will find sales on liquor and wine – 20% off, 33% off, 2 x 1. And according to our family, prices in Maz are often lower than the airport duty free. Go figure.
Well, I´m glad I solved that mystery. Now if I can only figure out why our kids think we would be better off living in Canada……

No comments:

Post a Comment