Five and a half hours of negotiations between taxi companies, tour operators and State representatives have resulted in an agreement which, in theory, will put an end to the two decades of conflict over the volatile territory of tourist transportation in Mazatlán.
The meeting at the offices of the Sinaloa Secretary of Tourism began at 4pm yesterday. Present were the Sinaloa Subsecretary of Government, the Sinaloa Secretary of Tourism, the leaders of ecotaxis rojo and verde and the head of the Asociación de Choferes y Guías de Turistas.
The agreement between the parties is based on six points:
- a taxi module will be set up within the tourist debarkation area. The Secretary of Tourism will pay for rental of the space
- the Secretary of Tourism will assist tour operators in planning tours and will accompany them to meet cruise ship authorities to request permission to sell tours aboard the cruise ships
- the cruise ship companies will continue to offer different tourist products on board and when docked at their discretion
- the Asociación de Choferes y Guías de Turistas ”Rafael Buelna” Civil Association will have the first contact with cruise ship passengers but tour sales will take place only at the dock area
- all parties agreed to assure the wellbeing of tourists and not partake in any actions to the detriment of tourists and the image of Mazatlàn
- all parties agreed to hold discussions on a permanent basis to resolve conflicts that may arise in the future.